Machine Dreams is an exploration of how colors impact us, expressed with a diffused effect that displays Dean Blacc’s technical mastery of generative watercolor.
Within color theory, certain colors are believed to generally evoke similar emotional responses. German poet Wolfgang Johann von Goethe inscribed human-understandable descriptions into the color wheel, connecting psychology and color in a framework that continues to resonate today in art, philosophy, media, and design.
Dean Blacc rebuilds colors from the wheel as abstract watercolor fields, and overlays them with an almost runic script, quick scribbles or annotations, similar to an artist’s private notes. Machine Dreams is an elegant, minimalist work that speaks to the colors’ intended reaction through gentle and ephemeral forms, keeping our conscious grasp of the explanation just barely out of our reach.
Watercolor through computer code is a challenging endeavor, modeling how water spreads over paper, gravity and the angle of the easel, the water content of the brush, and the viscosity of the paper itself. Inspired by the color tests of 19th century painter Joseph William Turner, Dean Blacc explores modernist abstract color explorations and showcases technical mastery through understated simplicity.
Machine Dreams blends the purity of color exploration with the ephemeral nature of watercolor, calling our attention to the meaning behind an artist’s choice of color and the impact of the medium on which they choose to present their work.
- NYC LAUNCH PARTY: Works will be available at the preview event in New York, NY on the evening of Tuesday, October 10. Click here to RSVP.
- PRE-AUCTION PURCHASES of a limited number of available works will be available starting on Wednesday, October 11, 10AM PT. During the pre-sale only, you will be able to select which work you would like to buy. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- PRE-REGISTRATION OF BIDS using a credit card can be executed anytime before the auction begins. Bids will execute on a first-come-first-served basis. Use the pre-bid button on this page to submit your pre-registered bid, starting on Friday, October 13, 10AM PT until 24 hours before auction starts. Learn More.
- PRINT OPTIONS: You are entitled to a complimentary 5 × 8 or 11 × 16-inch print with the option to upgrade to a larger size or add a frame for an additional fee. You can request one more print after the complimentary one. If you buy on the secondary market, you also have the option to purchase a printed version of the work.
- RESERVED WORKS: The first 10 pieces will be minted in advance and not available for sale during the auction: 5 for the artist and 5 for Tonic.
- COPYRIGHT LICENSE: At the artist's discretion, this specific collection is governed by the copyright license: Click here for collection-specific terms.