Until December 31, order a limited edition, signed & framed 30 × 30” mixed media silk screen work on paper. Order from your gallery page or buy on the secondary market to explore this unique form.
Our world is made up of near infinite examples of events that paradoxically represent both order and chaos. Chaos theory’s most famous tenant, the Butterfly Effect, explains how imperceptible changes in initial conditions can lead to massive and unpredictable differences in outcomes: how a butterfly flapping its wings weeks earlier may lead to a hurricane taking a different course.
Wander positions Rhythm & the Machine at the paradox point, building a system that visually suggests both order and chaos, striking a different balance in each composition. Saturated color fields reminiscent of paint moving through water are seemingly randomly distorted and dragged across the canvas. All the while repeating colors and evenly spaced gestures point to an underlying ordered system.
Intuitively you would not expect repeating the same thing over and over would lead to disorder, yet this is exactly what you find with many systems, such as pseudo-random number generators that are foundational to algorithmic generative art.
Through a reduced system that elevates a few “random” elements—the placement & size of colored geometric shapes, the direction & intensity of the gesture—Rhythm & the Machine introduces distortionary forces that Wander does not dictate nor completely control. Suddenly each cluster of colors takes on a life of its own, creating new forms we cannot predict.
Each work in the collection contains a second ‘instruction’ layer, which maps how the original colored shapes are placed and then distorted. This ‘instruction’ layer reminds us that chaos is in fact rooted in ordered systems. We can see the before and the after of the directional forces, how regular shapes became an abstracted color field. At the same time, the interactions are so complex and layered that trying to anticipate the future is a futile effort. We can try to understand but we cannot predict: a visual articulation of the butterfly effect. This insight is given added weight since the instruction layer is artificial and not a priori to the original digital work, where all of these functions happen simultaneously. The artist constructed it to provide the viewer this unique insight.
We see the moment of divergence, repeated not just in a single canvas but also across the collection. The wide range of possibilities alludes to infinity—a concept impossible to fully comprehend but in this reduced visual language Wander shows us a piece of it and our minds are able to begin to explore the spread if not the edges.
- UNIQUE PHYSICAL: Until December 31, order a limited edition, signed & framed 30 × 30” mixed media silk screen work on paper. Order from your gallery page or buy on the secondary market to explore this unique form.
- LA LAUNCH PARTY: Works will be available at the preview event in Los Angeles, CA on the evening of Tuesday, August 22.
- PRE-AUCTION PURCHASES of a limited number of available works will be available starting on Tuesday, August 15, 10AM PT. During the pre-sale only, you will be able to select which work you would like to buy. Email email@example.com for more info.
- PRE-REGISTRATION OF BIDS using a credit card can be executed anytime before the auction begins. Bids can be set at any available price level and will execute on a first-come-first-served basis when the auction reaches that tier. Use the pre-bid button on this page to submit your pre-registered bid, starting on Thursday, August 17, 10AM PT until 24 hours before auction starts. Learn More.
- HOLDER REBATE: Collectors who hold any Tonic work will receive a rebate to the auction sell-out price. Wallets must hold one Tonic NFT 24 hours before the auction. This includes if the wallet has been declared a delegate to another wallet utilizing delegate.cash holding the Tonic NFT. Note that all rebates will be issued in ETH, regardless of original payment method, after the auction concludes.
- SEASON ONE SET HOLDER BENEFIT: Collectors that hold at least one Chromesthesia: Ascend, one Intimità, and one Strands of Solitude work will receive free shipping up to $1,000 on all prints and framed works, including those from Rythm & the Machine.
- PRINT OPTIONS: If you buy at mint, you are entitled to a complimentary 12 × 12-inch print with the option to upgrade to a larger size or add a frame for an additional fee. You can request one more print after the complimentary one. If you buy on the secondary market, you also have the option to purchase a printed version of the work.
- RESERVED WORKS: The first 10 pieces will be minted in advance and not available for sale during the auction: 5 for the artist and 5 for Tonic.
- COPYRIGHT LICENSE: At the artist's discretion, this specific collection is governed by the copyright license: Click here for collection-specific terms.